Tuesday, October 26, 2010

We are committed - and committed

This is in response to a Run Like a Mothers Facebook post by a reader about how running is selfish if it takes away from your family time.  Oh yea?

I thought the other day, during a late day run, that I was running during my sons practice. I had missed the day before because our schedule was jam packed w/life. And it had been my birthday, which was given up because, our life is full. So, I was wondering, okay am I still a mom running during his practice? Half jokingly. Yes, I am. Usually, I'd be right there watching. But when I don't squeeze in the 60 minutes, out of a 24 hour period (on 5 hours a sleep a night), for myself, to unwind, to run it out, to listen to my 80's rock music or my christian rock music, to be inspired, to energize my brain cells, get the blood working in my legs - I am not my best for my family. I have 5 kids. And a husband. And a job. And family. And obligation. I would think most of the readers here are not selfish and when, have we been asked to give up everything about ourselves for our family, as if that is best? What inspires my teenage girls the most? Seeing their mom succeed and smile when she gets back from her longest run ever. If I think my husband looks irritated after he's been home all day & I have to fit my run in during family time (hardly ever happens though - he is uber supportive), I sweetly remind him he enjoys the outcome of my long runs ;) - he agrees. 

I have had to get over feeling guilty because I, as most mothers, give my soul to my family. So when I train for the half next year, my family knows - it will be a priority. They have the rest of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment